|By Inday Vinyas||
|September 30, 2009 08:30 AM EDT||
I was lucky that Typhoon Ondoy did not affect my apartment. We are out in Pampanga two hours from Manila but we did not have a flood in my little neighborhood.
But so many people died in this typhoon, and now the world knows what can happen in the Philippines. We get more than 20 typhoons each year and they cause many problems.
Typhoon Feria back there in June damaged many houses in Samar Province where I am from. I was visiting then and it was very scary. You know we don't have a radio there or any way to know when a typhoon is coming. We just hope for the best and we know that no one will help us.
Two other typhoons in August and September gave us rain for more than one week. A lot of floods and some people died then, too.
But I think that nobody outside of the Philippines knows about these things unless they are very, very bad.
As I said, my family and friends and I are OK. We have work and a place to live. I took the pic here of my street. This was Typhoon Morakot three weeks ago. It rained for one week, no break. The jeep is not mine hehe, it is somebody else in the neighborhood. But there is trouble with the engine, it does not run. It just sits there!
Ok, I will be serious now. On TV we are seeing that many people died in Ondoy and many thousands of people lost their homes. So many people are very poor and live near the rivers. But what can they do? That is their life.
I know there are many kind Kano people in the world--US, Canada, England, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, like that. And many pinoy live in those countries and other countries too. So I know many people will try to send money and clothes and try to help the Philippines.
All of us thank-you for that. Sometimes you see that people are really good only when things are really bad. But also remember that we Filipinos are very strong people. We know about tragedy and "calamity" events. We help each other, and we will survive always. Bahala na.
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Will Ulitzer Dominate News Content on The Web? -Gartner
- High-Tech Public Relations and Alan Zeichick - Analyze This!
- Drupal Content Management Platform Has Been Chosen By Ulitzer
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Ulitzer to Give Drupal 6.0 Its Biggest Scalability Challenge Yet
- Ulitzer Is Looking to Hire the Best Enterprise Software Architect Alive!
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict
- Facebook, Twitter LinkedIn, Ulitzer, MeettheBoss - Execs Go Online Big-Time